'"> ');

Author Topic: New home - brick damage 1 year in  (Read 11328 times)

horhif

New home - brick damage 1 year in
« on: February 16, 2018, 07:37:22 pm »
Hi

I've purchased a new home, just over 1 year ago. After 1 year and our first winter , I've noticed multiple bricks with damage to their face and edges...I believe through frost.

Anyone else this issue and what should I do about it?
I would guess I've over 50 bricks damaged

Thanks

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: New home - brick damage 1 year in
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 10:59:01 am »
Your only hope is to show that these are the wrong bricks for the exposure in your area.
It is called spalling and is caused by freeze thaw action.
That said the bricks should be to 9n/mm2 and to BS EN771 classified for F2/S" or F2/S1  against freezing.

Check your brick type against the manufacturer's literature online.
Write to the housebuilder and get it on record as you only have a year left to get this on record.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

RobTheWitcher

• https://ratrust.org.uk/donate-charity
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 11:11:18 am »
I've had the same problem after a really harsh winter with the bricks in my 2 year old house.
Luckily the housebuilder took care of it pretty much instantly. Now I'm thinking what could be done to prevent it in the forthcoming years.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 01:02:22 pm »
Who was your housebuilder Rob?
What was the cause of the weak mortar?
How long did it take before the housebuilder agreed to fix it?
What was the remedial action taken?

As for protection in the future, you could try using something like Thomson Water Seal.
But do it in the summer when the brickwork is 100% dry.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

horhif

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 09:59:41 am »
I've had the same problem after a really harsh winter with the bricks in my two year old house.
Luckily the housebuilder took care of it pretty much instantly. Now I'm thinking what could be done to prevent it in the forthcoming years.

The house builder out now replacing the really bad bricks....however...there are that many, there is no way they could do them all to be honest.

I am wondering what the house will look like in 5 years if this is only after 1.

Anyone any advice? I think I'll ask my solicitor to request an extended warranty.
Also the brick manufacturer is coming to visit house to inspect so I will update when this happens.

Thanks for all your replies!

horhif

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:01:59 am »
Your only hope is to show that these are the wrong bricks for the exposure in your area.
It is called spalling and is caused by freeze thaw action.
That said the bricks should be to 9n/mm2 and to BS EN771 classified for F2/S" or F2/S1  against freezing.

Check your brick type against the manufacturer's literature online.
Write to the housebuilder and get it on record as you only have a year left to get this on record.

http://www.kingscourtbrick.com/brick/victorian-red-multi-brick/   

i believe this to be the brick

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 06:32:05 am »
This brick is F2 and is therefore classed as "frost resistant"