'"> ');

Author Topic: Floor plans changes  (Read 13275 times)

willdigg

Floor plans changes
« on: December 15, 2016, 10:08:45 am »
When me and my partner came across the house we are in the process of buying in the floor plans the master bedroom came with an en-suite as per the brochures provided. Yesterday my girlfriend checked the website and now it isn't showing the en-suite for the master bedroom.

I have emailed the site for them to confirm what is correct.

If the designs have changed are they allowed to do this?

Many Thanks

willdigg

Re: Floor plans changes
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 10:37:12 am »
I have now had the confirmation that the en-suite has been removed.

Matron

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 11:27:09 am »
Can they do that? Surely if you paid a deposit on a particular home they that's the house you should get. I'm no expert and I'm sure someone with much more experience will respond but if it were me I would not be happy.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 11:27:55 am »
No house builder is allowed to advertise something as materially important as an en-suite in their brochure then sell the home on this basis and not provide it.
It certainly breaches the Consumer Protection for Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

Could it be that the bedroom deemed the master is in fact another bedroom with an en-suite?

At the very least they are required to inform you of this change and allow you to pull out of the purchase at no cost to you, as the requirements of the Consumer Code for Home Builders.

Who is the housebuilder?

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

willdigg

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 11:36:42 am »
We have not paid our deposit but we have reserved and due to exchange contracts the 25th January.

We are with Miller homes, please see link below for the home we are intending to buy.

https://www.millerhomes.co.uk/new-homes/north-east/wheatfield-ph3/the-stretton-007/plots/125.aspx

The en-suite was shown to be like this but not with the wardrobe space.

https://www.millerhomes.co.uk/new-homes/north-east/scholars-gate/the-stretton-011.aspx

I have also checked other developmnents and it seems to be the same, but in the link below they have forgotten to take the en-suite off where it displays all the dimensions.

is there anything we can do to get the en-suite put back in? or is now a case of discussing a new price?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.millerhomes.co.uk/new-homes/north-east/wheatfield-ph2/the-stretton-005.aspx

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 12:27:53 pm »
OK.
When you reserve a new home you normally are required to sign a form which details the plans you have seen and that is what you are buying. Did the house type plan (and revision) you were shown have an en-suite bathroom?

The on site sales brochure must surely have had this house type clearly shown with an en-suite.
This is obviously important and was a prime consideration for you when you reserved.

Now the fact that Miller have two versions online one with an en-suite and wardrobe and one with out either demonstrates that these have been cut to maximise profits by reducing production costs.
However, without an en-suite presumably the houses would sell for less.

I suspect that the non en-suite wardrobe version is the social housing version for this house type.

Whatever you do, do not exchange contracts until you are 100% sure your home has an en-suite with or without the wardrobe.

If it is not to have an en-suite I wouldn't buy it.
Most homes have en-suite and subsequent buyers would expect this.

I doubt Miller would reduce the price low enough to fully compensate this.
I would also not wish to deal with a housebuilder who is as it looks to me, acting in such an underhand and deceptive manner.

No en-suite no sale is my advice and you will get 100% of your reservation fee back and any other expenses you have incurred plus £250 for "inconvenience if you need to complain using the Consumer Code for Home Builders Adjudication Scheme.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

willdigg

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 12:33:28 pm »
We were not shown any plans when we signed to reserve the house, we were just given the initial one with the en-suite detailed.

We have our planning meeting on Saturday where we will tell them we want the en-suite as per the documentation provided to us.

What makes it worse is there is a different style of house exact same floor size etc etc etc the master bedroom is in the same location and also has an en-suite!

Thank you

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 12:36:29 pm »
We were not shown any plans when we signed to reserve the house, we were just given the initial one with the en-suite detailed.

If you still have this plan you are home and dry.
It shouldn't be too difficult to add the en-suite provided the drainage has not been done and the floor finished or concreted. Even then it can be ripped up and added.

Good luck Saturday!

willdigg

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 12:48:02 pm »
We do yes!

Some foundation work has begun but no where near our intended plot so i assume we should be fine!

Thank you and I will let you know how we get on.