'"> ');

Author Topic: First Time Buyer - Miller Homes  (Read 11692 times)

willdigg

First Time Buyer - Miller Homes
« on: July 25, 2016, 11:42:04 am »
Hello all,

I stumbled across this website when researching online.

Basically me and my girlfriend have found a nice 3 bedroom house from Miller homes on a relatively new development.

My friend has just recently purchased a house on the same plot and received a matched deposit as an incentive which comes to £9,000.

Is this a good offer or would it be better to ask for something else?

The only issue I have is the plot we are looking at is surrounded by Social Housing.
I myself do not have a problem with this but if we were to sell in the future I know this would be a certain issue to prospective buyers.
Is it worth asking for discount because of this or is that not likely to happen?

Any information will be greatly appreciated

anthyboy

Re: First Time Buyer - Miller Homes
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 10:08:12 pm »
Hi,

Firstly I would say a £9000 cash discount is a good amount, but if they are offering this straight away I would be asking myself why? (most developers don't like giving cash discounts).

As for being surrounded by social housing, I assume this is a neighbouring estate and Miller are not letting out their houses for social renting? Price terms your post code will already determine what your house price could go for. Therefore I suggest that you look into what a 3 bedroom house similar of yours is going for, this will decide whether your purchase with discount for a Miller home is worth it! (bear in mind you will already be paying a premium for a new build)

As specifically for buying near social housing, it will depend on what it's is like, is it a high crime area or bad for anti social behaviour? Plus you never know who will move there in the future! I suggest your friend that lives there is a good bet to ask.

If it was me I would just be necky and see what I could get, unlikely to get more of a cash incentive but optional extra's might be up for grabs. What you get will depend on demand for their housing where you are looking and if they consider you a safe bet in terms of purchasing a property and it not falling through.

Miller seen to be of a higher reputation than some of the others, but I would research this website thoroughly.

Good luck

Tim Fee Snagging Inspector

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 06:29:57 am »
First of all when it comes to incentives, it used to be possible for sales advisor to offer about 3%. This could be either cash discount, "free" carpets, rear garden turf of a combination.  Now, with Help to Buy, most house builders don't have to offer anything. There are more buyers than they can (or want) to build houses for.

A £9,000 discount is quite good but as Anthyboy suggested, check that the price hasn't been ramped up before the discount is applied. Have any other homes gone for "full price" or is every home "discounted"?

The more worrying concern is the proximity of social housing.
Quite frankly you should avoid buying any home anywhere near social housing.
You can choose your house, but your cannot choose (or do anything about your neighbours)
Even on a Private estate, all it takes is one bad family to destroy a nice neighbourhood.
Buying adjacent to social housing all but guarantees you will have several bad neighbours.
As you already realise, when it is time to sell and move,  the social housing will be bedded in, the old fridges washing machines and scrap cars will be everywhere, gardens unkempt  and the single mother's babies will have grown up into swearing rude young children!
It will take more than a few thousand off the price to sell and your only buyer will be a 'buy to let' landlord who will demand a low price!

It is good that you "stumbled" on my website. There is a lot of great information there for you.
It is also good that the house builder is Miller, one of a minority that I rarely hear anything bad about, that wins a lot of NHBC Quality Awards and are rated five stars by their customers.

But try and buy well away from any anti social housing!

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

willdigg

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 01:22:06 pm »
The £9,000 off they said can either be taken off our house price or used on the house itself.

When looking on advert on the website I can also see the following offers available:

HOME OF THE WEEK
Stamp Duty Paid
Selected Appliances included
Upgraded Kitchen

I highly doubt it could get them all with the £9k incentive as well?

Here is small part of the plan with the house in question highlighted and the surrounding social housing. link to advert also supplied.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 06:57:25 am »
It's even worse than I thought! 
Your plot is opposite a public open space.
This will not be properly maintained after the development completed and will be used by the kids in the anti social housing. The Social Housing might also treat it as a fly tip.

If that is not bad enough, your garage is in your neighbours back garden and the Social homes look bigger!
In addition, you have grass not pavement around your home which will also not be maintained unless you do it!
Oh and two convenient traffic calming ramps great for SH kids skateboarding too!

I said it before - don't buy it!
I wouldn't want to live there even if I was given that plot.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.