Author Topic: Council road surface water run off flooding my property  (Read 6895 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.


  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1
Council road surface water run off flooding my property
« on: February 18, 2014, 12:33:41 pm »
I am new hear and I am not sure if this is the right sort of post for this website.
I have a problem in that my driveway floods everytime we have rain as the council maintained road that it joins is not kerbed and cambers down into my property.
The hard standing I had for a driveway is now mud and debris.
The road in question is a single car width road and has no drainage along it. The last time we had severe rain the water that ran off the road came within 2 feet of the drive and to a depth of 8 inches.
I've contacted the council and they say their not obliged to put curbs in although they aqccept that the water is running off their road and into my drive.
I can't afford to put kerbs in myself as I've spent all I have on renovating the house.
What do you guys think?


  • Administrator
  • Regular Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 99
  • Country: england
    • Brand New Homes
Re: Council road surface water run off flooding my property
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:38:03 pm »
It will depend whether the road is adopted by the council, who owns it and who is responsible for maintaining it.

I think I have heard that it is illegal to permit rainwater to run off (drain) one property to the detriment of another owned by someone else.

In thsi case, you should seek legal advice and if the council is responsible submit a claim for the damage the water has caused your driveway.

Bear in mind though, that we have had some quite exceptional wet weather this winter.
Providing information for the UK new home buyer.