'"> ');

Author Topic: Changing my integral Garage into an extra room?  (Read 7607 times)

deannajuliette@gmail.com

Changing my integral Garage into an extra room?
« on: May 16, 2020, 07:50:25 pm »
I'm living in a detached coach house on a David Wilson estate. I have two bed flat - I'm over my garage and lease the other two. My mum is very sick and needs to be with me and my son.
We are top and tailing at the moment which quite frankly is making me unhappy as I need some personal space for myself.

Then I thought of my garage which would very nicely convert into a room without any hassles - does anyone understand the rules of covenants - I believe I can change the use but I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice how to achieve this. My options are limited at the moment with this lockdown. The conversion is my only option.

Midwest

Re: Changing my integral Garage into an extra room?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 09:05:34 am »
I live in a new build, under two years old. I'm about to convert part of my integral garage to habital use.

I firstly enquired with the developer if they had objections, re their covenants. They did not have any objections. I then sort pre planning advice on the https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200232/planning_applications/59/how_to_apply, which suggested planning approval was required in my case.

My LBC stated, as permitted developments were removed, from the original planning approval for the development I'm on, I had to submit a planning application.

I had some comments made by one of the Consultee's, Town Council, which referred back to the original planning approval, which stated garages should be used for parking of vehicles only, pedal cycle storage provision (in the garage) and off road parking provision.

Highways had no objection re off road parking, my drive can accommodate for the same amount of vehicles with conversion of the garage. I can accommodate 4 pedal cycles (for 4 bed detached) in the unconverted part of the garage. And as a garage door will remain, my property's appearance will remain the same from the road way. Not sure why the objection of using the garage for parking of vehicles only was rejected, perhaps because highways had no safety objections.

I now have to apply for Building Regs approval. Hope this helps.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 09:14:10 am »
There may well be planning stipulations that prohibit the conversion of garages for a certain period of time. As you will be increasing the value of the property there may also be a community infrastructure levy to pay if planning permission is granted.

The simplest solution for what may well be a temporary situation, would a caravan in your drive.
It would take far longer than any lockdown for planning to be grated and the work to be completed.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Midwest

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 08:27:40 am »
You can't park caravans on driveways on my new development.
It's against the covenants.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 11:09:14 am »
Usually this is for a perpetuity period which lasts until the last house has sold and legally completed or perhaps a short time after that.
At 2 years, your site is in all probability completed by now.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

Midwest

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 02:58:45 pm »
Usually this is for a perpetuity period which lasts until the last house has sold and legally completed or perhaps a short time after that.
At 2 years, your site is in all probability completed by now.

The Restrictive Period on my property is 5 years from the date of transfer, and binds with future owners in that period.

I'm not sure of the 'perpetuity period' you speak of, but the site will be another 2 years before the last house will have been finished, even longer now perhaps with COViD, so that period may well be the same.

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 09:55:44 am »
My mistake!  I meant Restrictive period. Perpetuity means forever as in perpetuity!
New Home Expert not legal expert!

Repton buyer

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 09:55:25 am »
"New Home Expert not legal expert!"

Just a jolly helpful chap!