'"> ');

Author Topic: Assistance please  (Read 9915 times)

HAPPYDAYS28

Assistance please
« on: June 21, 2016, 11:54:49 am »
I would be most grateful for your advice in reference to attached picture.

As per the plan the utility door opens on the side right in front of the driveway and this opens onto the shared access. I am told there is no space for the fence to enclose the utility door.

My query is as follows
1. Is it legally allowed to request the builder to knock off the utility door and block it with bricks (wall instead)?
2. Is there any other way to secure the utility door as it opens onto the shared access with other properties.

Many thanks

anthyboy

Re: Assistance please
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 08:21:02 pm »
You can ask for what you want, if they want your money be persistent with your request!
Their willingness to do this will probably depend on the build stage.

As for legally I'm not sure, I would imagine it would have something to do with fire escape routes. But if there is another escape route i.e. Patio or French doors I don't see a problem.

I have not come across this and it seems to me to be a badly designed plot, it hard to see from the plan but when you say shared access do you mean with your next door neighbour or open access to anyone walking by?

All that said I find it hard to believe that a fence can't be erected, after all a fence is what 150mm thick at  most. Sounds like shite to me!

My question would be why you would accept shared access?
The plan seems to indicate a fairly large house that you are thinking of buying and this privacy/security issue should come as standard.

My advice don't accept anything you are not prepared to live with, it will just fester and annoy you.
There are loads of house builders out there, find a plot that meets all your needs.

Before doing  anything, read all the information on this website, it is a absolute must! I'm sure someone will respond with the legality of what you are asking. You should name who you are buying with, this will help people give better advice.

Regards

Ant

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 07:28:52 am »
Legally, the builder must build to the plans that you should have been shown at reservation.
If there are any changes to the plans, you should be informed.

You can ask for any changes to be made to your specific home, but normally this will only be done after you exchange contracts. (when you cannot back out without losing your 10% deposit)

Presumably this is an extra access to the home from the drive. It could be argued that this is something that prospective buyers might actually like.  In addition, it is probably also glazed giving more light to the utility room.

This door must open inwards as shown and not outwards onto the drive as it could be hit by a car.
In my opinion, I think this is a case of very poor design resulting from a cynical attempt to cram in as many new homes as possible on the development.  But it is you that will have to live with a shared drive beyond your external wall not the builder's directors and designer.

It should be easy to brick up the doorway or replace it with a window, but no doubt you will have to pay extra for either option.

Oh and one last thing, do not post duplicate posts
Not only does it waste my time (correcting typos etc.)  it can and does affect search ranking.
Every new post is easily found and ALL are responded to.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

HAPPYDAYS28

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 10:46:00 am »
Anthyboy & NHE
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my query, greatly appreciated .

Apologies for duplicating the post .