Home Owners > Energy

Detailed New House Survey

<< < (2/2)

paulfel:
The latest,

The builders provided written specification of materials used.

100mm cavity full filled with 100mm Knauf Ditherm 37 (0.037W/mk) mineral wool
100mm Thermalite Shield blockwork (thermal conductivity = 0.150W/mk)

Subsequently the builders have carried out an endoscopy in my presence and confirmed, that there IS cavity wall insulation installed in my property.

This house is L shaped and has six external facing wall's, one south, one west, two east and two north.

It certainly seems to me that low British Building Regulations are not adequate for all styles of house? A house built to the supposed latest UK building regulations in 2013, should not cool as rapidly as an un-insulated 1954 house like my last one. Similarly, during the recently hot weather, the house should not heat up inside so rapidly when the temperatures are high outside. I've been monitoring outside and inside temperatures with a TFA electronic outdoor/indoor thermometer. On the warmest day of the year here by 13:00 the inside outside temperatures were equal at 23c, (obviously no CH was on).

Along with other noticeable deficiencies in this newly built house e.g. extremely poor sound insulation, UK building regulations ARE today, still very poor.

New Home Expert:
With cavity insulation you should be nice and cosy!
You could/should check the cavity insulation is 100%, with a  thermal imaging camera next winter.

From what you say, it sounds like you have a very large window area.
This would explain the solar gain in summer and the poor insulation in winter.
the number and shape of your house should not matter.

It is not the building regulation that are at fault, it is the house builders building new home badly hardly meeting the regulations in most cases!

pxbaker:
Unfortunately the presence of insulation is no guarantee of performance!
I have a room-in the-roof where the builder has not continued the insulation from the eaves through to the cavity and insulated the dormers to the outer skin leaving air flow around the voids and dormer cheeks.
All there is between us and the outside world is a plasterboard!
The insulation is there but might as well be at the bottom of the garden. To be effective it should be tight to the plasterboard with no airflow at all.

New Home Expert:
Sounds just like houses at Taylor Wimpeys Loddon Park Reading!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version