'"> ');

Author Topic: Copper pipes or plastic pipes  (Read 15874 times)

MrKeaton

• Bank Opening Times
Copper pipes or plastic pipes
« on: April 06, 2020, 03:14:53 pm »
Hello,

I want to bring my elderly's mother house a bit up to date, starting with bathroom. She has huge cast iron pipes there which I would like to remove and change to something else. The question being should I invest in copper or plastic ones. Money does matter but if there are great benefits of having one over the other I will not be skimpy.

Any advice is welcome.

Thank you

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Copper pipes or plastic pipes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 12:55:34 pm »
When you sat cast iron pipes I am assuming these are the soil vent pipes which are external in older properties.  If these are too remain external I would advise against plastic as they look bad and are not as robust as Cast iron. Just re paint it with metal paint.

If the cast iron is internal  be sure it is not a gas main in barrel. If it is the waste pipe then plastic would be a better option internally.

If these are heating and internal hot and cold water pipes then copper is by far the best.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.