'"> ');

Author Topic: Wooden gussets  (Read 27789 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1
Wooden gussets
« on: November 01, 2021, 10:28:55 pm »
First time buyer just looking for some help.

I had an offer on a property accepted, it was built sometime between 1967 and 1975.

Been having a look around myself and everything looks ok until I get into the loft.
I noticed the trusses use plywood gussets; the roof doesn’t appear to sag anywhere so hopefully it's ok.

I'm not a builder and I’m just wondering if this was normal way they build trusses back then?

Either way I will mention it to the surveyor, I’m just impatient and wanting to improve my own knowledge.

New Home Expert

  • Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1627
  • Country: england
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Wooden gussets
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 09:02:06 am »
First of all this is a forum for new homes.
If you are buying an older property you should have the home extensively surveyed before exchange pf contracts.

I would suggest that the ply gussets you mention are fitted to add strength to damaged or weakened trusses or a result of an alteration such as room in the roof extension.

Employ and expert to survey the home fully, pay him the money and if anything goes wrong that he missed you can sue him.
New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.