'"> ');

Author Topic: Bovis, Upper Heyford  (Read 13899 times)

macatee

Bovis, Upper Heyford
« on: May 24, 2016, 11:34:10 am »
Hello

I have put a deposit on a house here and am now getting very fearful, reading all the bad experiences people have had. I would be grateful for any advice please
many thanks

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
Re: Bovis, Upper Heyford
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 09:47:58 am »
My advice would be AVOID BOVIS AT ALL COSTS!

They are rated just three stars by their own customers and their site managers didn't win a single NHBC Quality Award last year.

I have come across more unhappy Bovis new home buyers than any other house builder over the last two years.

In my opinion they are now Britain's worst house builder, even worse than Persimmon!
Before you ask, no your house won't be any different. You WILL have defects and dreadful quality and Bovis won't bother much with after sales customer care either. It's in their DNA!

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.

macatee

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 11:37:47 am »
I am very grateful for your reply

I have been told so far that I practically 'must' use their recommended solicitor as otherwise

a) I wont get £750 towards legal fees (I am adamant that I was not told that at the outset)
b) if I don't use their solicitor then it is almost certain that the sale won't go through in the 28 days that they need it to; they will then remarket the property.

I was initially offered the property at one price, after 2 weeks I agreed to the purchase on Friday morning (at that price) and by lunchtime they had increased the price...

I also seeing from reading on this site that we are at half year end for Bovis; this property is not yet completed but will be 'definitely' by end June.
I am also being told I can't get snagging done independently until after the CML certificate and 24 hours before I move in -- still waiting on clarification of what this means.

none of this is making me feel any calmer!

New Home Expert

• Global Moderator
  • Guru member
  • Expert advice for new home buyers
    • New Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 11:43:48 am »
For a start it is illegal to insist that you must use the builder's choice of solicitor.
This is the worst thing you could do when buying a new home.
Reasons why buyers should NEVER use the housebuilders' choice of solicitor.
Not only is it against the Consumer Protection Regulations (2008) it breaches requirement 2.5 of the house builder's own Consumer Code for Home Builders. You should have been given a copy at Reservation. If not another breach (requirement 1.2)

There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to have your home independently inspected and snagged ahead of the CML inspection. I can recommend both Brickkickers or SnaggingInspcetions.
Perhaps Bovis are concerned that whilst the CML inspector may be persuaded to sign your home off as "finished", your own independent inspector will flag up many reasons why you should postpone legally completing.

I would cancel. The warning signs are there.
If you do go ahead, use your own solicitor. Bovis cannot sue you, it is your legal right. And most certainly, have the home independently inspected before you legally complete.

New Home Blog - New Home Expert is committed to providing help and advice for people having issues with their new homes and difficulties with house builders as well as helping potential buyers reduce the risk of possible problems if they do buy.